Once referred to as the “place of darkness” amongst the locals, Oscar Spares and Mathomo Mall was a dilapidated complex and regarded as one of the most dangerous hijacked building’s in town
Oscar Spares was for many years a motor spares store. When OPH bought the building it was in a dilapidated state, with the area behind it crowded with illegal structures and garbage.
Alongside it was a 1914 building, later the Playhouse Cinema.
Today both buildings are unrecognisable – a mall has been created between them, called the Mathomo Mall, with several hairdressing salons and eateries lining its tiled interior, offset by planters and elegant lighting.